Tuesday 10 June 2014

Easy Dress Pattern - review

I completed this as my first 'proper' sewn garment.  I did do a skirt a couple of months ago, but cut too many corners and didn't really know what I was doing.
This pattern - the Easy Dress Pattern - came free with the May issue of Prima magazine.


The fabric was bought from Plushaddict.  I cut the pieces a while ago - opting for the largest size.  
Sewing up was quite straightforward.  I pinned it all in place first, omitting sleeves, to try it on.  Then sewed it up with a 1cm seam allowance.  I sewed with a ziz zag stitch up the side seams to prevent fraying but must admit that was the only place I did that.  If I was to do it again I would do that first to all raw edges.
The neck was a bit of a pain - I don't know if it was the fabric or the tension, but it gathered all the way round.  After this section I made sure I kept the tension on the fabric as I pulled it through and this seemed to help.
Putting in the sleeves was relatively painless, think I even managed some gathers on this part!  I also omitted the casing at the back to pull it in - I think if you had more of a waist then it would be a good idea, but I don't so it is fine without.

All in all - the neckline is a tad dodgy in places, but otherwise I am happy with this.
Next up - the Delphine skirt by Tilly Walnes from her book 'Love at First Stitch'.
I have since worn the top and confirm how happy I am with it.  If I were to do it again (and I think I will) I would:
  • Zig zag stitch all raw edges first
  • shorten the length slightly (by approx 5 inches)
  • wouldn't make the neck so wide - depth is fine but would bring it in slightly at the sides closer to the neck

No comments:

Post a Comment